Wednesday, May 6, 2009

From just over a year ago: A few words about my definition being real, or I can't believe you would say such a thing!!!

I made this entry on my Myspace blog about a year ago....I thought it was one of my better entries, and just as relevant today as it was then, if not moreso...read on.....

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I am out all the time....and when I'm out, I do a lot of talking. And, believe it or not, I do a hell of a lot of listening too. Conversation is life's most immediately accessible art-form, I think.

But, something comes up often-often enough to make me ponder and write about it.

I get comments, especially from women that I know, that they prefer me when I'm being "real".

But I don't know what they mean.

I think what they mean is that they like it better when I'm not talking about my band, my music, kicking ass, getting successful, getting fucked up, and generally doing the things that I do.

But seriously, those things are so incredibly real to me....and maybe they don't understand, that's the way I live. Rock N' Roll is my life, and everything I do is for that, ultimately. Sure, when I'm 3 beers into the evening, and I talk about growing up as a geek or how cool I think my nieces/nephews are, or how my brothers' wives had a big hand in making me who I am, it might be more appealing than how many clubs I've sold out in New York City or how great a time I'm going to have in LA next month. But, that doesn't make those things any more or less real.

It's all real....across the board. I don't feel that anything I say or do, ever, is insincere, dishonest, or disingenuous in any way, shape, or form....to a fault at times. Just because I'm not kissing someone's ass or disagree with someone doesn't mean I'm not being real. On the contrary, it means that I fucking AM being real....perhaps much more so than the person at the other end. Every time I sing a song, pound the drums, shake a good friend's hand, or kiss a beautiful girl, you can bet your sweet ass that it's 100% for real.

Case in point, there was an occasion recently in which I thought someone really overstepped some bounds with me, and was extremely presumptuous. I became a little bit upset, which happens pretty rarely. I usually take the high road (insert joke here, ahahahaha....) when it comes to trivial conflicts such as this, but there are certain things that I think a person shouldn't have to tolerate, no matter how easy going he/she might be....and I'm pretty fucking easy going! But this person, again, said something about liking me better when I'm "real", as opposed to having my guard up and calling shit the way I saw it. Fuck that - I WAS being real. It's just that this person REALly pissed me off. But that's over now.

I remember when I was in one of my old bands...I'm sure you know which one....someone came up to the bass player and I and said she liked the band but wishes we sang about "real" things. We replied that we played songs about Sex, Drugs, & Rock N' Roll....and since we do those things, there isn't anything unreal about it. I don't think she understood. But have you listened to the Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers album? Well, "Sister Morphine", "Brown Sugar", and Sway" are all on there...so are "I've Got The Blue" and "Wild Horses"....and it doesn't get any more real than the Stones (well...up until 1983, ahahahaha....). My point is that those songs aren't all about the same subjects...and they don't sound the same. But what ties them all together, besides the fact that they are absolutely brilliant, is that, to my ears, they are 100% the real fucking thing.

My point is, best exemplified by the following juxtaposition for you to chew on....I think that Poison songs like "Talk Dirty To Me" and "I Want Action" are probably far more real than any of the pseudo-Christian "rock" candy-ass muzak spewed forth by the likes of Nickleback and Creed, ok?

I'm hope this has cleared any doubt on the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment